Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Sparrow ATC


The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is one of my favorite books. Ever. This is saying a lot as I have been a voracious reader since the age of 4. This is a book I turn to when I feel especially philosophical, not depressed so much as just feeling very small in the universe. I love how the book weaves Jewish mysticsm around strict Catholicism and wraps it all up in a fair bit of humanism with an unexpected twist.

Anyway, I've been feeling especially melancholy this week as I ride the train back and forth, back and forth... I keep telling my friend Gwen that I feel like a hamster running on a wheel. It's a pink sparkly wheel, but a wheel nonetheless, and I run and run and run but I never get anywhere. I've even taking to IMing my husband every so often with one word, "squeak". He did crack me up when he told me I needed oil...anyway, I pulled my book off the shelf and admired the cover art once again and thought about how I could make something to remind me of the big picture - literally and figuratively.

So I made this ATC that I may post in my cube at work (- can't get away from the hamster metaphor but this one was unintentional). Not necessarily meaning God, but just the world and how we're all in it together and even if we are all hamsters on a wheel, occasionally we get derailed and those make for interesting days.

No comments: