Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Scrap bracelets


So, as you know, I've been trying to do a project everyday just something creative to help keep me from climbing the cube walls at the office (I'm short so this is more of a probability than for you guys who can easily peer over them) so I had a few bits and pieces left over from jewelry projects and the pin-up girl collage mirror I made for a friend. Somehow, I had the perfect piece of scrap silk cord ... such a pack rat, a bottle cap with diamond glaze well hardened and the exact number of black beads to make a fairly sharp pin-up girl bracelet, which I love and have worn to said cube office.. no one noticed, but I felt a little scandalous so it was a little extra spice to the day.

The other bracelet is more romantic and goes with the 3-strand necklace with the jasper teardrop I made. Again, the fates were with me as I had the right number of diamond crystals and smoky quartz to match the pattern. Now I can be refined and elegant or sassy and spunky ... well, I'll settle for well-accessorized.

I still have a few new soldering projects with more mini-collages and a larger piece I want to make with the theme of "soul sisters". There are a lot of women through the years that have inspired me from the women in WW II who flew bombers from factories to the front lines to Mary Wollstonecraft and the suffragists who marched on Washington. But more than that, it's women who have done the same tasks everyday since before we had fire that I want to think about and somehow bring together in art piece.

In the meantime, I found some great vintage beads from 40's that would look great in a necklace!

No comments: