Friday, February 17, 2006

Marathon Olympic Watching


So we've gotten a little bit behind in our Olympic coverage. We've got more than a few hours built up on the TiVo (love the TiVo... seriously, can't say enough!). A friend and I caught the Chronicles of Narnia last night, second time viewing and just as good, and it's just a beautiful movie. The lamp post burning in the forest with the snow is gorgeous. I'm hoping to figure out a way to capture that in a collage or mixed media project but don't have any specific ideas as yet.

I'm working on an altered book made of round coasters from On the Border. It's a little bit embarrassing how much I love that restaurant given the great Mexican options here in Dallas but I can't help myself. A nice waiter gave me a huge stack of them after I mentioned they could be used in art projects. Currently, there are six on my desk drying after their second coat of gesso (one of my favorite art supplies ever!) and I'm thinking about a circus theme. I love Cirque du Soleil and am thinking of doing some thing with the Altered Cirque as a theme. There are some great stamps from Zettiology and I have a few along with some vintage circus scrap that I think could be really great. I'll post photos if it all works out!

Now, I have to head back to the Olympics, hubby and the fire... yes, it has finally gotten cool enough to really enjoy a fire here. It's supposed to be in the 20's tonight! Keep warm, it sounds like there are cold fronts moving in almost everywhere.

I'm adding a photo of the necklace I made while avoiding cleaning my studio space. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I dyed the domino with Adirondack alcohol ink in Lettuce and stamped it then screwed in eye screws (you have to start pilot holes prior to inserting the eye screws - I used my dremel). Finally, I just used wire to create the necklace with natural stone beads and tiny swaravoski crystals. The domino lays flat when you wear so it's comfortable to actually wear. I need to do some further experiments with color on the domino to find the perfect dye.

Have a happy Friday!

No comments: