Thursday, August 09, 2012

Measuring Up

I love, love, love the internet. It's how I find out about all the super cool happenings between celebrity couples (must have latest on Stewart/Pattinson, TomKat, Brangelina, etc), hottest trends in home goods, do a quick check in on my peeps and frankly, how I make a living. It's also where I fall into the bog of eternal self-loathing.

My favorite intranets make it super easy to discover how I'm not measuring up as a mother, wife or human being. I haven't started sleep training Sophy, I haven't volunteered at a yoga retreat for the blind, I don't hand knit her clothes out of virgin wool from sheep that graze on our manicured 10 acre farm in the perfect location "upstate" that are then humanely turned into lamb shanks that I serve at a pop up dinner for 100 of my closest and most beautiful friends in our barn which has been recently renovated based on a Dutch design with all white slip covered furniture... I think you see what I'm getting at.

The internet tends to be a place where we can selectively choose what to share and why wouldn't you share the most idyllic and best version of yourself. The self you want everyone to believe you are. Who wants to read about skipping bath night because you want to go to bed and watch the Real Housewives of New York (not a real life example since it's on tonight and I definitely have to give her a bath since I didn't last night just 'cause). I find myself comparing my life with those living in the fantastical (and mythical) land of no problems, perfect lives and pretty, pretty people but even they have have bad days with baby spit, cat puke, broccoli gone bad in the fridge and general shit that goes along with living life. They just have the good sense not to put that on Facebook. Who the hell wants to hear about that?

... uhm, so maybe ignore this post and check out cute baby animals on Pinterest.

No comments: